As a forming community, our mission is to create a cohousing community of diverse people who share our vision and values.
Sunnyside Village Cohousing is a satisfying mix of people of different ages, philosophy, socioeconomic status, cultures and races, genders and sexual orientation who support and care for each other and the community in a way that makes the world a better place.
In our cohousing community, we hold as values:
- To be supportive of each other and tolerant of each other’s uniqueness, strengths and challenges
- To respect each other in all transactions, conversations and interactions.
- To strive to be self aware, honest, kind, tolerant, patient and supportive of each other
- To respect each other’s varying needs for privacy
- To respect people at each stage of development- youth, adult, and senior
- To use Universal Design to enable seniors to age in place
- To be respectful in the community in regard to noise, the impact my behavior may have on others, and to clean up after myself, my pets and my children
- To support each individual’s involvement and expression of these values rather than having one community mission
- To willingly contribute my time, efforts and financial resources toward making these values possible
In the wider community we hold as values:
- To be an inspiration to others
- To improve our world by living lightly and sustainably on the planet
- To be environmentally responsible: reduce, reuse, recycle
- To be a better community for the planet than we could be individually
- To demonstrate how consensus and cooperation can help people thrive
- To make decisions for long term success and sustainability rather than short term fixes
- To contribute to peace, harmony and sanity in the world
Good enough for now, safe enough to try