As a forming community, our mission is to create a cohousing community of diverse people who share our vision and values.
Sunnyside Village Cohousing is a satisfying mix of people of different ages, philosophy, socioeconomic status, cultures and races, genders and sexual orientation who support and care for each other and the community in a way that makes the world a better place.
In our cohousing community, we hold as values:
- To be supportive of each other and tolerant of each other’s uniqueness, strengths and challenges
- To respect each other in all transactions, conversations and interactions.
- To strive to be self aware, honest, kind, tolerant, patient and supportive of each other
- To respect each other’s varying needs for privacy
- To respect people at each stage of development- youth, adult, and senior
- To use Universal Design to enable seniors to age in place
- To be respectful in the community in regard to noise, the impact my behavior may have on others, and to clean up after myself, my pets and my children
- To support each individual’s involvement and expression of these values rather than having one community mission
- To willingly contribute my time, efforts and financial resources toward making these values possible
In the wider community we hold as values:
- To be an inspiration to others
- To improve our world by living lightly and sustainably on the planet
- To be environmentally responsible: reduce, reuse, recycle
- To be a better community for the planet than we could be individually
- To demonstrate how consensus and cooperation can help people thrive
- To make decisions for long term success and sustainability rather than short term fixes
- To contribute to peace, harmony and sanity in the world
Good enough for now, safe enough to try
Statement about Safety
Our community is a safe place for everyone. We do not tolerate or condone racism, bullying, sexual harassment, emotional, physical or sexual abuse. These behaviors will be dealt with by the community in an appropriate, transparent way. If any of these behaviors rise to the level of breaking the law, then the appropriate authorities will be notified by the Care Circle.
Complaint process: if you have a complaint against a community member about the above, please speak with a member of the Care Circle for assistance in putting your complaint in writing. A plan will be developed by the members of the Care Circle.
Because we value safety in our community, the name of any and all prospective community residents will be checked by the Membership Circle against the National Sex Offender Registry, which is a public registry, accessible to anyone.
Black Live Matter to Sunnyside Village Cohousing
Statement Against Racism
“I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daylight of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality…I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sunnyside Village Cohousing would like to make a statement against racism and in support of the current protests. We believe that all people are created equal and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. We join with our neighbors and friends to denounce on-going and long-standing historic racism against black people.
We believe that black lives matter and that it is not OK that mothers have to teach their children how to behave in public in order to not get killed by police, or live in fear that their children will not return each time they leave the house. We believe that it is not OK that black children, teens, and adults have to dress in certain ways or act in certain ways in order to not incur the wrath of police or white supremacists, or to fear for their lives when in public like George Floyd. Or in their own homes, like Breanna Taylor.
We work, each of us as we are able, toward justice, equity and inclusion for black lives in our community. We remain committed to listening, learning and taking action against racism. Like Martin Luther King, Jr. we believe that it is possible for all of us to live peacefully with each other, treating each other with care and compassion, dignity and respect.