Mission, Vision and Values
As a forming community, our mission is to create a cohousing community of diverse people who share our vision and values.
Sunnyside Village Cohousing is a satisfying mix of people of different ages, philosophy, socioeconomic status, cultures and races, who support and care for each other and the community in a way that makes the world a better place.
In our cohousing community, we hold as values:
- To be supportive of each other and tolerant of each other’s uniqueness, strengths and challenges
- To respect each other in all transactions, conversations and interactions
- To strive to be self aware, honest, kind, tolerant, patient and supportive of each other
- To respect each other’s varying needs for privacy
- To respect people at each stage of development – youth, adult, and senior
- To use Universal Design to enable seniors to age in place
- To be respectful in the community in regard to noise, the impact my behavior may have on others, and to clean up after myself, my pets and my children
- To support each individual’s involvement and expression of these values rather than having one community mission
- To willingly contribute my time, efforts and financial resources toward making these values possible
In the wider community we hold as values:
- To be an inspiration to others
- To improve our world by living lightly and sustainably on the planet
- To be environmentally responsible: reduce, reuse, recycle
- To be a better community for the planet than we could be individually
- To demonstrate how consensus and cooperation can help people thrive
- To make decisions for long term success and sustainability rather than short term fixes
- To contribute to peace, harmony and sanity in the world
- We are an Inclusive Community
We do not discriminate in regard to age, race or ethnicity, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed or religion, national origin, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, military status, or political or union ideology or affiliation.
Black Lives Matter to Sunnyside Village Cohousing
Statement Against Racism
“I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daylight of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality…I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
We believe that all people are created equal and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. We join with our neighbors and friends to denounce on-going and long-standing historic racism against black people.
We work, each of us as we are able, toward justice, equity and inclusion for black lives in our community. We remain committed to listening, learning and taking action against racism. Like Martin Luther King, Jr. we believe that it is possible for all of us to live peacefully with each other, treating each other with care and compassion, dignity and respect.